at St Kilda Road, Melbourne , 3000
The Alexandra Gardens are located on the south bank of the Yarra River, opposite Federation Square and the Melbourne Central Business District, in Victoria, Australia. The Gardens are bounded by the Yarra River to the north, Princes and Swan street bridges, with Queen Victoria Gardens and Kings Domain across Alexandra Avenue to the south. The gardens are part of the Domain parklands which stretch to the Royal Botanic Gardens and were first laid out in 1901, under the direction of Carlo Catani, Chief Engineer of the Public Works Department. They are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register due to their historical and archaeological significance.Domain ParklandsAlexandra Gardens are part of a larger group of parklands directly south-east of the city, between St. Kilda Road and the Yarra River known as the Domain Parklands, which includes; The Royal Botanic Gardens Kings DomainAlexandra Gardens Queen Victoria GardensHistoryFrom the time of European settlement of Melbourne in 1835, the area of the gardens were used for timber cutting, cattle grazing and as a brickmakers’ field. Regular flooding occurred, until a new channel for the Yarra River was dug from 1896 to 1900 to straighten and widen the river. The spoil was used to fill the swampy lagoons and brickmakers pits and raise the height of the river bank where Alexandra Gardens now stands. Landscaping occurred immediately, and the gardens were planned and laid out for the visit of the Duke of York in May 1901.
96 FB users likes Alexandra Gardens, Melbourne, set it to 30 position in Likes Rating for Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in Landmark category