Angelo Brocato's Italian Ice Cream Parlor is a family-owned ice cream parlor located in the Mid-City neighborhood of New Orleans, Louisiana. Founded in 1905, it is regarded as a New Orleans institution. Severely damaged by flooding after Hurricane Katrina, its 2006 reopening was reported as a significant advance in the rebuilding of the Mid-City area.HistoryAngelo Brocato was born in Cefalù, in Sicily, and at the age of 12 became an apprentice at an ice cream shop in Palermo. He later came to the United States; after opening a small ice cream store on Decatur Street, in 1905 he opened a larger ice cream parlor in the 500 block of Ursulines Street in the French Quarter. In 1921 the establishment moved to a larger space at 612-614 Ursulines, a white-tiled space with ceiling fans, modeled after fashionable parlors in Palermo. This area of the French Quarter was an ethnic Italian neighborhood at the time, but the Italian population moved away over the years.Angelo Brocato died in 1946. The business continued under his wife and children. Angelo Brocato, Jr, died in 1982; the store is now run by his son, Arthur Brocato, along with other family members.The Ursulines store remained open until 1981; Brocato's also maintained a presence on Jackson Square for some years thereafter. The present location in Mid-City, near the corner of North Carrollton Avenue and Canal Street, was purchased in 1978.
721 FB users likes Angelo Brocato's, set it to 13 position in Likes Rating for New Orleans, Louisiana in Organization category