Ashton Lane The Grosvenor Cafe

<p><b>Ashton Lane</b> is a cobbled backstreet in the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow%23The_West_End" class="wikipedia">West End</a> of <a href="/pages/w/113250288688451">Glasgow</a>. It is connected to <a href="/pages/w/109470309072542">Byres Road</a> by a short linking lane beside <a href="/pages/w/110860795632570">Hillhead subway station</a> and is noted for its bars, restaurants and a licenced cinema.</p><p>The Lane was not always the focus of West End cafe society. By the early 1970s, it was a run-down area of small residential and empty commercial properties. However, in 1976, the cost to renew the lease on the cramped property in Ruthven Lane that housed the Ubiquitous Chip restaurant forced the owner to look for new premises. 'The Chip', as it is locally known, moved to its current location in a derelict property that had been the stables for a funeral undertaker. The move was a gamble for the owner, Ronnie Clydesdale, since the Lane was a backwater to the thriving <a href="/pages/w/109470309072542">Byres Rd</a> but in 1977 the <a href="/pages/w/109100769121609">Glasgow Subway</a> closed for a major refurbishment. This forced several small businesses to relocate from <a href="/pages/w/109470309072542">Byres Rd</a> and the then-famous Grosvenor Cafe followed The Chip into Ashton Lane.</p><p>Other bars and restaurants were opened: the Cul-de-Sac creperie in the former <a href="/pages/w/133071220064455">Barr and Stroud</a> factory and Bar Brel in the old coachhouse that had been used latterly as a landscape gardener's yard but was, in 1910, the chauffeur’s house and garage for Dr Marion Gilchrist’s 'prim dark green Wolseley landaulette'. Dr Gilchrist (1864-1952) was, in 1894, the first woman to graduate in medicine in Scotland.</p><p>The Grosvenor Picture Theatre was built on site of Henderson’s Cab and Funeral Office in Byres Road and Ashton Lane. The cinema opened on 3 May 1921 with 'Helen of the Four Gates' and 'Eastwards Ho' and the performances were accompanied by the theatre’s own orchestra and organist. The building was designed by architects Gardner & Glen and had a distinctive terracotta façade. The original entrance faced Byres Road and the upper level housed a Café and American Soda Fountain and, by 1929, a waiting room. The original cinema seated around 1,350 people but in the 1970s it underwent considerable reconstruction. The entrance was moved from Byres Rd to Ashton Lane and the old entrance became Bonham's Wine Bar (the railing in the original foyer is retained in the upstairs bar). After falling into disrepair, the cinema closed June 30th 2002 but was relaunched in Oct 2003 after a multi-million pound refurbishment. This created two screens on the ground floor, a bar and restaurant in the former neglected roof space and a new cafe/bar on Ashton Lane.</p>


Ashton Lane The Grosvenor Cafe

Glasgow
United Kingdom
Contact Phone
P: ---
Website
-

Company Rating

206 Facebook users were in Ashton Lane The Grosvenor Cafe. It's a 394 position in Popularity Rating for companies in Local business category in Glasgow

6 FB users likes Ashton Lane The Grosvenor Cafe, set it to 800 position in Likes Rating for Glasgow in Local business category