Bascom Hill

at 500 Lincoln Dr, Madison, 53706 United States


Bascom Hill
500 Lincoln Dr
Madison , WI 53706
United States
Contact Phone
P: <<not-applicable>>
Website
-

Description

Bascom Hill is the main quadrangle that forms the symbolic core of the University of Wisconsin–Madison campus. It is located on the opposite end of State Street from the Wisconsin State Capitol, and is named after John Bascom, former president of the University of Wisconsin. The hill itself is a drumlin, formed by glacial deposits about 18,000 years ago.The hill is crowned by Bascom Hall, the main administration building for the campus. Near the main entrance to Bascom Hall sits a statue of President Abraham Lincoln. The first university building, North Hall, was constructed on Bascom Hill in 1851 and is still in use by the Department of Political Science. The second building, South Hall, was built in 1855 and is now used by the administration of the University of Wisconsin College of Letters and Science.BuildingsNorth Hall (1851)South Hall (1855)Bascom Hall (1857)Assembly Hall and Library Building (now Music Hall) (1879)Mining Engineering and Heating Station (now Radio Hall) (1887)Science Hall (1888)University Armory and Gymnasium (1894)State Historical Society (1900)Memorial Union (1928)Carillon Tower (1934)John Muir Park (1964)Humanities Building and Elvehjem Art Center (the latter now Chazen Museum of Art) (1969)Helen C. White HallLimnology Laboratory

Company Rating

11281 Facebook users were in Bascom Hill. It's a 25 position in Popularity Rating for companies in Local business category in Madison, Wisconsin

296 FB users likes Bascom Hill, set it to 177 position in Likes Rating for Madison, Wisconsin in Local business category

!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->