at , New Orleans, 70125 United States
Broadmoor is a neighborhood of the city of New Orleans. A subdistrict of the Uptown/Carrollton Area, its boundaries as defined by the City Planning Commission are: Eve Street to the north, Washington Avenue and Toledano Street to the east, South Claiborne Avenue to the south, and Jefferson Avenue, South Rocheblave Street, Nashville Avenue, and Octavia Street to the west. It includes the Broadmoor Historic District which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003 and increased in its boundaries in 2007.HistoryBroadmoor is low lying ground in New Orleans, and was only substantially developed beginning in the early 20th century after improved drainage was initiated . Before being developed, the area was a large marsh and was a fishing spot for Uptowners. Early construction were mostly high raised houses for fear of repeats of historic floods, but after decades with little problem more low lying residential structures were built in Broadmoor. The first area drainage canals were built in 1885. In 1903 a pumping station at Broad Street and Washington within the Broadmoor boundaries opened in 1903. In 1915, pumps more powerful than previous ones were established at that pumping station. After 1915, smaller groups of people began settling the area.During the early 1920s a sharp population increase occurred in Broadmoor. Over one third of Broadmoor's houses and the Wilson School, the first public school in Broadmoor, were built during that decade. Population growth continued for several years In the late 1950s and the 1960s many people began moving to suburbs in Jefferson Parish and New Orleans East, leading to population losses for Broadmoor.
327 FB users likes Broadmoor, New Orleans, set it to 17 position in Likes Rating for New Orleans, Louisiana in Neighborhood category