Cabot Tower is a tower in Bristol, England, situated in a public park on Brandon Hill, between the city centre, Clifton and Hotwells. It is a grade II listed building.The high tower was built, on the site of a previous chapel and windmill, in the 1890s to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the journey of John Cabot from Bristol to land which later became Canada. Public access to the viewing platforms at the top of the tower via the staircase was stopped in 2007 as it had become unsafe. It reopened in 2011.HistoryThe tower stands on the site of a medieval chapel which may have belonged to St James' Priory. During the 16th century the chapel was replaced by a windmill.The tower was constructed in memory of John Cabot, 400 years after he set sail in Matthew from Bristol and landed in what was later to become Canada. It was paid for by public subscription. The foundation stone was laid on 24 June 1897 by the Marquis of Dufferin and Ava and the tower was completed in July 1898. The architect was William Venn Gough and it was built by Love and Waite of Bristol. A lift was originally planned but never installed.
68 FB users likes Cabot Tower, Bristol, set it to 8 position in Likes Rating for Bristol, United Kingdom in Landmark category