at 2600 Madison Ave, Baltimore, 21217
Druid Hill Park is a 745-acre urban park in northwest Baltimore, Maryland. Its boundaries are marked by Druid Park Drive , Swann Drive and Reisterstown Road , and the Jones Falls Expressway . Inaugurated in 1860, Druid Hill Park, a famed urban park, ranks with Central Park in New York City and Fairmount Park in Philadelphia as the oldest landscaped public parks in the United States.HistoryThe land was originally part of "Auchentorlie", the estate of Dr George Buchanan , one of the seven commissioners responsible for the 1729 establishment of Baltimore City; Buchanan's country estate included 579 of the 745 acres that comprise Druid Hill Park today. Renamed "Druid Hill" by Col. Nicholas Rogers, who married Eleanor Buchanan, it was purchased in 1860 by the City of Baltimore from descendent Lloyd Rogers with municipal funds raised by the revenue derived from a one-cent park tax on the nickel horsecar fares, put through by Mayor Thomas Swann . After its purchase, Druid Hill Park was inaugurated by Swann on October 19, 1860. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Local residents often refer to the park as "Dru Hill" Park, a "Baltimorese" corruption of its given name.
1709 FB users likes Druid Hill Park, set it to 6 position in Likes Rating for Baltimore, Maryland in Landmark category