at 100 Princess Avenue , Toronto, M2N 3R7
Earl Haig Secondary School is a public high school with a student body of about 2,600 students in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In addition to being a public secondary school, the school is also host to The Claude Watson Arts Program, an auditioned arts program integrated into the secondary school curriculum.HistoryThe school is named after Field Marshal The 1st Earl Haig, who was commander of the British Expeditionary Force during the majority of the First World War. The school was established in 1928, shortly after the Earl Haig's death.The original school was designed by the Toronto architectural firm of Craig and Madill and construction started in November 1929. The building officially opened in 1930 as Earl Haig Collegiate Institute. Additions continued through the 1940s, 50s and 60s. In 1961, the school changed its name from Earl Haig Collegiate Institute to Earl Haig Secondary School. It is currently the largest high school in the TDSB.The Claude Watson Arts Program began in 1982. The program consists of dance, drama, music, screen arts, and visual arts.In 1996, the original building was demolished in sections to make way for a new building. This new building was designed around the original auditorium, Cringan Hall. Carruthers Shaw and Partners Limited, the same company that designed buildings at Queen's University and Upper Canada College, designed the new building and Bondfield Construction were contracted to build the school. The new building was officially opened in September 1997 at a cost of CAD$30,800,000.
4081 FB users likes Earl Haig Secondary School, set it to 24 position in Likes Rating for Toronto, Ontario in School category