at 323 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Newark, 07102 United States
Eberhardt Hall is the oldest building of NJIT and a beautiful example of 19th century Gothic Victorian architecture in conjunction with 15th and 16th century castle design.
Eberhardt Hall, originally known as the Newark Orphan Asylum, is the oldest building at the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). It is located at 323 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd in Newark, New Jersey in the University Heights section. Built in the 1856-57 its original purpose was to serve as the Newark Orphan Asylum. Eberhardt Hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and is a beautiful example of 19th century Gothic Victorian architecture in conjunction with 15th and 16th century castle design. The castle-like building was designed by John Welch an experienced church architect and one of the founders of American Institute of Architects. It is said to be that the building had the most advanced construction of the time. It included some of modern day amenities such as hot and cold water, gaslight and even an early fire extinguishing system. By 1947 the building was no longer used for its original purpose as the Newark Orphan Asylum. Thereafter, Newark College of Engineering - subsequently NJIT - acquired the building for $58,000. In 1948, the board closed the deal with another $40,000 which included the closing and renovation.
58 FB users likes Eberhardt Hall, set it to 6 position in Likes Rating for Newark, New Jersey in Landmark category