Fort Bovisand Trust

at , , PL9 0AD

The Fort Bovisand Trust is working with Fort Bovisand Developments Limited to restore and redevelop Fort Bovisand.


Fort Bovisand Trust

PL9 0AD
Contact Phone
P: ---
Website

Description

The Fort Bovisand Trust is working with Fort Bovisand Developments Limited to restore and redevelop Fort Bovisand. The Trust, established in 2011, has received initial support from the Heritage Lottery Fund and will begin to develop the Fort as a visitor destination. The Trust's vision is to see Fort Bovisand brought back to life - offering a place to learn and a chance to have fun and experience the stunning location of this remarkable site.

General Info

Fort Bovisand, situated on Plymouth Sound, formed part of the largest body of permanent fortifications ever built in Britain. It's origins date to Tudor times and remains from both World Wars and the Cold War are evident. As part of the redevelopment The Trust's initial plans include a learning hub, outdoor spaces for a range of educational and informative activities, a temporary exhibition space for themed displays and guided tours. The Trust will begin their public consultations in November 2014.

Company Rating

248 FB users likes Fort Bovisand Trust, set it to 3 position in Likes Rating for Plymouth in Non-profit organization category

How many Forts does it take to guard the entrance to Plymouth? The answer is 4: Fort Bovisand to cover the eastern entrance at the end of the Breakwater, Fort Picklecombe on the Cornwall side of the Sound, the Breakwater Fort and Drakes Island fortifications whose 25 tonne guns were discovered buried on the top of the island.

Published on 2015-02-20 10:55:19 GMT

How many Forts did it take to guard the entrance to Plymouth Sound? Answer provided tomorrow.

Published on 2015-02-19 19:15:39 GMT

Yesterday we asked you how many Forts were built around Plymouth.... The answer is approximately 24 – these include Crownhill Fort, Royal Citadel, Mount Batten Tower and Mount Edgcumbe Blockhouse.

Published on 2015-02-18 09:55:16 GMT

How many Forts were built around Plymouth to bring the town and Naval Dockyard defences up to date? These were built to be an effective deterrent against the new threat posed by the French naval iron clad ships. Answer posted tomorrow.

Published on 2015-02-17 13:50:28 GMT

On the 30th April 1944 an enemy plane was engaged by the Fort’s guns.

Published on 2015-02-16 18:50:31 GMT

Searchlights scanned the skies when Plymouth was under attack.

Published on 2015-02-16 09:50:18 GMT

The last gun changes came in 1942, the old 1898 guns, were replaced by two twin 6 pound, 10 cwt, guns capable of engaging motor torpedo boats or M.T.Bs as they were known, they could fire 70 rounds a minute.

Published on 2015-02-13 14:50:28 GMT

During the Second World War six search lights were operational at the Fort; two bombs fell on the Fort during the very heavy raids on Plymouth in 1941, fortunately they failed to explode.

Published on 2015-02-12 11:45:32 GMT

During the second World War 157 Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery Royal Artillery took over the 12 pounder guns and the Royal Engineers occupied the lower Fort bringing a total of about 115 personnel into active service with gun practices taking place and the gunners manning their stations when sirens sounded in the Plymouth area. We have been told by a local gentleman whose family has lived in the Coastguard cottages since the early 1900s, residents were told to open all their windows when the big guns fired or the level of the noise produced by the guns would blow their window out.

Published on 2015-02-10 11:40:23 GMT

A new accommodation block was built in 1912 by the old Coastguard cottages and during the First World War additional troops were stationed here as a threat of attack by German submarines, search lights were also installed at the Eastern entrance of the Sound, however no action took place during this period.

Published on 2015-02-09 08:35:15 GMT

Did you know each of the 23 Rifle Muzzle Loading guns would have had a detachment of men under a Gin Captain to operate it? There would also have been an N C O (non-commissioned officer) whose duties would include it's maintenance and cleanliness and the various stores required in each casemate or gun room.

Published on 2015-02-04 11:35:17 GMT

The reservoir at Staddon Point had a constant supply of water. 9 inch cast iron pipes were laid to bring water down to tenders docking in the harbour from ships moored nearby. The reservoir was built by the contractors who were constructing the Breakwater under Sir John Rennie, the large limestone rocks were taken from nearby Oreston quarries and the granite blocks from Dartmoor. It was used up until the First World War.

Published on 2015-02-02 18:20:10 GMT

Did you know between 1816 and 1824 a stone lined 12,000 gallon reservoir was built on the top of Staddon Point? This was to ease the increasing pressures in the Royal Naval Dockyard as a large number of ships needed to restock with provisions and water.

Published on 2015-02-02 15:15:20 GMT

We have been very busy lately and have met some lovely people, including an ex-gunman, someone whose family lived in the Coastguard Cottages during the war and a few divers. A big thanks to Paul Tancock, Len McVicker and Peter Holt. Over the coming days and weeks we will be posting some interesting facts that they have told us.....keep posted.

Published on 2015-02-02 11:01:35 GMT

We would like to extend a massive 'thank you' to Ray Ives' Diving and Shipwreck Museum in Hooe for showing us around his memorabilia. Most of the photos you have seen were taken from there.

Published on 2014-12-23 11:44:53 GMT

From the mid-1970s #FortBovisand was used as a school's outdoor activity centre. Buildings were converted to bunk houses, kitchen and dining area. The cottage was used as a toilet and shower block and a lounge and staff accommodation.