at , Potsdam, 14467
The Garrison Church BuildingBell towerThe bell tower of the Garnisonkirche, a dominating structure, measured 88,4 meters and reached well into the street in front of it. Its side walls were interrupted by tall, narrow windows, while sculptures flanked the corners. A panel with gold lettering mounted above the main entrance facing "Broad Street" (Breiten Straße) read, "Friderich Wilhelm, King of Prussia, had this tower built next to the Garnisonkirchein to the honor of God. Anno 1735". Some of the letters may still be seen today.The foundation of the bell tower was solidly built and tapered to the upper stories. The top story, built of oak, had lanterns and a copper-covered roof crowned with a weather vane. A Carillon, inherited from the first Garrison church consecrated in 1722, was augmented with five new bass tone bells produced by Paul Meurer. Choral music was played on the hour, alternating with secular music played on the half hour until the end of the 18th century. From 1797 until 1945 the musical order was changed to Bach's "Lobe den Herrn" (Praise the lord, oh my soul) and "Üb immer Treu und Redlichkeit" from Ludwig Hölty, a theme Mozart composed for Papageno's aria in the The Magic Flute. In between short melodies, some played upon request, rang out over the city every 7,5 minutes.NaveThe nave was square built. Its cross axis was connected to the bell tower on the north side. A step hip roof, 17 meters high, had two dormer windows built into all but the south side of the roof. Tall round-arched windows dominated the façade which had decorative central portals on all three sides. Entrances on both sides of the tower led to a high balustrade from which it was possible to enter onto a roof walkway. Columned pillars flanked both sides of the main doors which, together with the tower itself, formed an imposing entrance from Broad Street.
12 FB users likes Garrison Church, set it to 30 position in Likes Rating for Potsdam in Landmark category