at 44 Bow St, Cambridge, 02138 United States
The Harvard Lampoon Building is a historic building in Cambridge, Massachusetts that is best known as the home of The Harvard Lampoon and for its unusual design.Architecture and designThe building was constructed at 44 Bow Street not far from Harvard Yard and close to the "Gold Coast" of residences for undergraduates of Harvard College before the creation of Harvard's "house system" (some of them now part of Adams House). Designed by Edmund M. Wheelwright, who also oversaw the construction, it was first opened on February 19, 1909. Wheelwright had attended Harvard University and was one of the founders of the Harvard Lampoon. Wheelwright's design was inspired in part by an old church in Jamestown, Virginia, and by the Flemish Renaissance details of Auburn Street buildings in its vicinity. The building has been described as a "Satirical Castle". Seen from directly front, the building bears an obvious resemblance to a human face wearing a Prussian helmet, complete with spike.During the construction phase of the project he traveled to Europe to procure appropriate furnishings and windows. He purchased leaded windows in Belgium and an Elizabethan mantelpiece in England. The building also features 17th-century Delft tiles that were imported from the Netherlands. The Delft tiles are blue, white, and aubergine. The tiles were used in a room with an open ceiling and plain furniture and timbers.
72 FB users likes Harvard Lampoon Building, set it to 22 position in Likes Rating for Cambridge, Massachusetts in Landmark category