Hessay is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of the City of York in North Yorkshire, England 7.5km west of York.HistoryThe rural village of Hessay enjoys a peaceful open setting within the vale of York, a glacial plane created in the last ice age.To the east, York Minster is visible from New Road. To the west, RAF Menwith Hill is visible. To the north, both the Kilburn White Horse, and Bilsdale Television mast some 40km away may be seen during darkness.The Name Shirbutt Lane is Derived from Shire Butts, from Days When the village was a Jousting Location, it is still possible on occasion to recognise the location of the jousting butts.Hessay is described in the Domesday Book at Hesdesai, the lake where the hazels grew.Hessay used to have a railway station on the Harrogate Line. The station closed to passengers in 1958, but the Ministry of Defence sidings at Hessay were open until 1991 with closure of the unit effected by March 1996.According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 181, increasing to 265 at the 2011 Census. Before 1996 it had been part of the Harrogate district. Recent developments have increased the population to over 300 though the actual figure is not known. There are approximately ninety houses in Hessay.ChurchesAlthough the village has no pub, no post office and no shop, it has two fine churches - St John the Baptist Anglican church and the Methodist church. The village was given to the St Mary's Abbey, York by Osbern de Archis and continued in their possession until The Dissolution.
32 FB users likes Hessay, set it to 28 position in Likes Rating for York in City category