at 5668 Baker St , 48209
Holy Redeemer High School was a Roman Catholic secondary school located in Southwest Detroit, at the corner of Junction and Vernor streets, near the Ambassador Bridge to Canada. It was operated by the Archdiocese of Detroit. It was founded in 1882 and closed in 2005 after 123 years. The buildings and grounds were converted into Detroit Cristo Rey High School which opened in 2008. The adjoining Holy Redeemer Catholic Parish and Holy Redeemer grade school both remain in operation.In 2002, the entire Parish grounds including the high school were recognized as part of the West Vernor-Junction Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its architecture and historic importance.HistoryHoly Redeemer High School was founded in 1882 by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) with the assistance of the Redemptorist Fathers (CSsR). The school was a founding member of the Archdiocese of Detroit Catholic League for Athletics. At its peak enrollment in 1972, Holy Redeemer's student population number was almost 1,000. The enrollment was about 200 when the school closed. Prior to the closing, the Redemptorist Fathers who founded the parish and school left the parish in about 2000. The IHM religious sisters closed their 4-story convent a few years later, due to declining numbers of religious members. The Basilian Fathers administered Holy Redeemer High School for approximately five years until the time of its closing.