at 49-560 Kamehameha Highway, Kaneohe, 96744 United States
Kualoa is a 4000-acre private nature reserve and working cattle ranch, as well as a popular tourist attraction and filming location on the windward coast of Oahu in Hawaii. It is located about 24 miles from Honolulu, and 32 miles from Haleiwa. The ranch consists of 3 valleys: Kaaawa Valley, Kualoa Valley, and Hakipu'u Valley. The ranch is located on Hawaii State Route 83 between Kaaawa and Waikane. The main street address is 49-560 Kamehameha Highway, Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744.HistoryThe valley was sacred to ancient Hawaiians from the 13th to the 18th century, as Chief Laa-mai-kahiki settled there after visiting Kauai before returning to Tahiti. It was also the site of the sacred drums of Kapahuula and Kaahuulapunawai as well as the sacred Hill of Kauakahiakahoowaha, the key to the sovereignty of the Kingdom of Oahu. As written in the Kumulipo, an ancient Hawaiian genealogical chant, Kualoa is where Papa and Wakea buried their first still born child, Haloa. It is said that the first kalo (taro) plant grew up from where Haloa was buried at Kualoa.In 1850 an American doctor, Dr. Gerrit P. Judd purchased 622 acres of ranch land at Kualoa for $1300, and also the island of Mokoliʻi just offshore, from King Kamehameha III. Dr. Judd was the first person to translate medical journals into the Hawaiian language for King Kamehameha and so the king was very grateful for his works. In 1860 Dr. Judd bought a further 2200 acres. Then in 1880 Dr. Judd's son Charles bought another 1188 acres. Today there are about 4000 acres of land.
8007 FB users likes Kualoa Ranch, set it to 3 position in Likes Rating for Honolulu, Hawaii in Performance & Event Venue category