at 137 Cadillac Sq, Detroit, 48226
The Lawyers Building is an office building located at 137 Cadillac Square in downtown Detroit, Michigan. It is also known as the American Title Building. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.HistoryThe Lawyers Building was built in 1922, the first building erected by John J. Barlum and his family in their rebuilding of the Cadillac Square area. The building originally catered to middle class level tenants, including many unions and benevolent organizations.DescriptionThe Lawyers Building was designed in the Chicago School architectural style, and is constructed of reinforced concrete and steel faced with terra cotta. It stands at 10 floors in height, featuring regular bays with grouped wood casement windows with metal spandrel panels. It was one of the few office buildings of the time that strove for modernism over ornamentation. It is currently the finest nearly unaltered Chicago-style highrise in Detroit; the only change made to the building is the modern marble ground-level storefront.The building is located east of the larger New Cadillac Square Apartments and Cadillac Tower (both also built by Barlum), and west of Detroit City Hall, at the corner of Cadillac Square, and Randolph Avenue. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
10 FB users likes Lawyers Building, set it to 28 position in Likes Rating for Detroit, Michigan in Landmark category