We contribute staff to a regional (East Midlands Operational Specialist Services (EMOpSS)) Dog Section, which provides 24 hour operational cover operating across the region.
EMOpSS provides 40 General Purpose police dog teams who can be deployed anywhere throughout the counties of Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Northants.
The teams have a variety of skills and abilities that are a valuable resource in effective policing. These skills include:
- Searching for suspects and missing people
- Locating objects dropped or concealed during a criminal incident
- Following a track left by a person on the ground
- Chasing and detaining a person who runs away when challenged to stop
- Disarming violent armed suspects and controlling hostile crowds
Supporting Firearms Teams
Search dogs are trained to locate a specific scent, these include:
- Drugs, both hidden and being carried on a person in public
- Cash (banknotes)
- Explosives of various types
The majority of our general purpose dogs come from police breeding programmes in other Police Forces, however we are always looking for gift dogs or indeed if a dog has the correct aptitude may purchase if necessary.