at Broom Road , TW11 9
Lensbury is a wholly owned profit centre of the oil major Royal Dutch Shell located in Broom Road, Teddington in South West London. The club was founded in 1920 as a sports, leisure and social facility for Shell employees to which, over time, were added training, conference and other features.HistoryOriginsThe Lensbury Club was established in 1920 as a sports club for Shell staff in the United Kingdom - one of the driving forces behind its formation was Dutchman Henri Deterding, one of the original founders of the Royal Dutch/ Shell Group of Companies, who was a fitness fanatic. Land was acquired in Broom Road, Teddington, for playing fields and within a year there were active sections in Cricket, Rugby, Football, Ladies Hockey, Tennis and Chess. Between 1920 and the beginning of the Second World War significant additions to the Lensbury estate were made with property and land purchases on both sides of Broom Road.In 1933 the club merged with "Britannic House", a similar club operated by BP, and created a joint venture known as the "Lensbury and Britannic House Associated Clubs" – an arrangement that lasted for thirty years. In 1938 a new clubhouse was opened which comprised 162 bedrooms, a dining room, a ballroom and many other facilities. During the war years club activities were suspended and Lensbury became a Shell office and some of the sports grounds were ploughed up to grow vegetables.