Maryculter House is an historic structure along the Royal Deeside in Kincardineshire, Scotland. Access to this structure is via the B9077 road. The church and graveyard associated with Maryculter House are designated national monuments. A hotel in modern times, this building is erected on the site where Knights Templar trained circa 1227 AD. Close by to the north is where Roman soldiers on the Elsick Mounth emerged from their march from Raedykes to cross the River Dee, on the northern bank of which the Normandykes Roman Camp stands. Its former park land is now Templars' Park Scout Campsite.Early historyTraces of early peoples from the Stone Age to the Iron Age has been found in and around the Templars' park area. The first recorded "camper" in the Templars' Park district was the Roman Emperor, Septimius Severus. He visited the area in the year A.D.210 during a large-scale raid which extended northwards as far as the Moray Firth. The Roman Legions forded the River Dee at Tilbouries, just west of Templars' Park, and on the high ground on the north bank of the river built a great marching-camp capable of accommodating 12,000 men. This Roman camp-site is known as Normandykes and its outline can still be traced.
419 FB users likes Maryculter House, set it to 6 position in Likes Rating for Aberdeen in Landmark & Historical Place category