The Mercantile Continental Building is located at 1810 Commerce Street in downtown Dallas, Texas (USA). It is a contributing structure at the edge of the Government District and adjacent to Main Street Garden Park. The building was built and owned by Mercantile National Bank and connected to their complex by an underground walkway.HistoryOriginally named the Mercantile Commerce Building and designed in contemporary style using stone and tile, the building and garage opened in late 1948 at a cost of $1.65 million.The building was constructed for Mercantile National Bank as an underground garage adjacent to their main offices at the Mercantile National Bank Building. Designed by Walter W. Ahlschlager, the structure contained 4 levels of underground parking and 3 levels of air conditioned office and retail space. Constructed as the first real underground parking structure in Dallas, the garage was accessed from Jackson, Prather and Harwood Streets and was capable of holding 1,250 cars in a continuous spiral.In 1958 Mercantile National Bank renovated and expanded the building. Broad & Nelson designed an 8-floor, addition on top of the existing structure, and the building was connected by an underground pedestrian tunnel to the growing Mercantile complex. The pedestrian tunnels were later incorporated into the Dallas Pedestrian Network.The building was renamed to "Mercantile Continental Building," and an adjacent building (formerly Vaughn Tower) was purchased by the bank and took the name "Mercantile Commerce Building."
6 FB users likes Mercantile Continental Building, set it to 21 position in Likes Rating for Dallas, Texas in Landmark category