at , Adelaide, 5062 Australia
Mitcham Primary School is a South Australian State school serving the Mitcham area and situated on Hillview Road, Kingswood. It is the oldest continuously operating school in South Australia. It has an enrolment of approximately 600 students from Reception to Year 7 and an Out of School Hours Care Program. The school predominantly serves the suburbs of Kingswood, Mitcham, Hawthorn, Netherby and Torrens Park. The school opened in 1847 with Thomas Mugg as the teacher in a hut on Mitcham Reserve. The school moved to the Mitcham Institute in 1870 and then to a purpose built school on Bulls Creek Road (Belair Road) in 1880. A new Primary school opened on the current site in Kingswood in 1953 and the Infant school and Primary came together on this site in 1981.HistorySouth Australia was first settled by colonists from Britain in 1836 and by the late '40s Adelaide was a thriving community, with Mitcham being a significant village a few miles to the south. A combined Chapel/School building was erected, paid for by subscription of local families, and opened as a school in 1847 with the teacher Mr Thomas Mugg who had been a cabinet maker in London. As attendance steadily increased the classroom became very crowded. Mt Mugg continued as the teacher to 1868 teaching a very basic curriculum and enforcing strict discipline with regular use of a cane.
42 FB users likes Mitcham Primary School, set it to 80 position in Likes Rating for Adelaide, South Australia in School category