The School of Dental Sciences, Newcastle University and Hospital was founded in 1895 in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne, England. The School of Dental Sciences is part of Newcastle University and the Dental Hospital became part of the Royal Victoria Infirmary and Hospitals Trust in 1992.HistoryThe Dental School and Hospital was founded by six dentists and opened on 22 April 1895 in order to provide dental treatment to the public. The Dental School and Hospital became affiliated with the College of Medicine in connection with Durham University from 1911 until 1937, after which it joined Armstrong College, to form King's College, Durham. In 1963 King's College became the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. The university now uses the name "Newcastle University".Sir Arthur Sutherland gave £50,000 to develop the Dental school, which was named the Sutherland Dental School in his honour on 29 May 1948. The Sutherland Building was used by the Dental School until 1978 and is now part of Northumbria University - built in 1887, designed by Edward Joseph Hansom and Archibald Matthias Dunn, it is a Grade II listed building.Between its foundation and 1978 the school and hospital occupied a number of sites around Newcastle City Centre, including Nelson Street, Percy Street, Northumberland Road before moving into its current purpose built facilities on Richardson Road.
6 FB users likes Newcastle University Dental School, set it to 11 position in Likes Rating for Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom in University category