The Old St. Louis County Courthouse was built as a combination federal and state courthouse in St. Louis, Missouri. Missouri's tallest habitable building from 1864 to 1894, it is now part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial and operated by the National Park Service for historical exhibits and events.HistoryLand for the courthouse was donated in 1816 by Judge John Baptiste Charles Lucas and St. Louis founder Auguste Chouteau Lucas and Chouteau required the land be "used forever as the site on which the courthouse of the County of St. Louis should be erected." The Federal style courthouse was completed in 1828.It was designed by the firm of Lavielle and Morton, which also designed the early buildings at Jefferson Barracks as well as the Old Cathedral. The firm was the first architect firm west of the Mississippi River above New Orleans. Joseph Laveille as street commissioner in 1823–26 was the one who devised the city's street name grid, with ordinal numbers for north-south streets and arboral names for the east-west streets.Missouri became a state in 1821, and the St. Louis population tripled in 10 years. A new courthouse was soon needed. In 1839 ground was broken on a courthouse designed by Henry Singleton, with four wings, including an east wing that comprised the original courthouse and a three-story cupola dome at the center. Its overall theme was Greek Revival.
204 FB users likes Old Courthouse, set it to 241 position in Likes Rating for St. Louis in Local business category