The Oxford and Cambridge Club is a gentleman's club founded in 1830 for members of the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge. The current clubhouse is located at 71-77 Pall Mall, London, England. Designed by the architect Sir Robert Smirke, it was opened to members in 1838. In 1989, the club's Crown lease was extended until 2087; major refurbishment of the accommodation was subsequently carried out in 1996. Women were not permitted to become full members until 1996.HistoryEight years after the foundation of the original United University Club in 1821, the waiting list had become inordinately long and it was decided to form a second club. On 17 May 1830, Lord Palmerston, who had been on the original committee of the United University Club, presided over a meeting in the British Coffee House in Cockspur Street in 1830 to discuss the project.The new club, called the Oxford and Cambridge University Club, took temporary premises at what is now 18 St James's Square. In 1835 the decision was taken to build a new club in Pall Mall on a Crown lease. William Ewart Gladstone's name appears in the earliest list of members that has survived (1833). He was on the general committee when the clubhouse was being built, but his chief concern was that all the staff should be able to go to church on Sundays. He pressed the matter at meeting after meeting until a pew was reserved at St Philip's Church, Regent Street, and the servants were told they might use it. Gladstone resigned his membership in 1842, but the club accounts show "Pew Rent for Servants £8/8/0" until 1858.
163 FB users likes Oxford and Cambridge Club, set it to 38 position in Likes Rating for London, United Kingdom in Landmark category