at , Watford, WD25 0UU United Kingdom
Parmiter's School is a co-educational state comprehensive school with academy status in Garston, Hertfordshire on the outskirts of North West London, England with a long history. Although the school admits pupils of all abilities it is partially selective. It is currently the most oversubscribed school in Hertfordshire, and has often been recognised by the DfES for being one of the highest performing schools in the country by value added and score as a mixed ability school.HistoryThomas Parmiter was a wealthy silk merchant in East London, who died in 1681. He left two farms in southwest Suffolk in his will to provide £30 per annum for six almshouses and £100 per annum for "one free school house or room for ten poor children" in Bethnal Green, London. Mrs Elizabeth Carter donated land for the school and an annual income of £10, while William Lee donated £100 for the building of a school house and a further annual £10. The building in St John Street (now Grimsby Street) was completed in 1722. Over the years the Trustees of Thomas Parmiter's Estate looked after its investments carefully. A notably prescient move was the purchase in 1723 of property in Cambridge Heath using money lent by Edward Mayhew.By 1730 the school accommodated 30 boys, growing to 50 in 1809. In 1839 it moved to new premises in Gloucester Street (now Parmiter Street) after the original site was acquired by the Eastern Counties Railway. (These buildings were destroyed by bombing during World War II.) Peter Renvoize left the foundation the sum of £500 on his death in 1842.
256 FB users likes Parmiter's School, set it to 13 position in Likes Rating for Saint Albans in School category