at 448 Pitsmoor Road, Sheffield, S3 9AY United Kingdom
Pitsmoor is a former village, now a suburb of Sheffield. The name derives from Or-pits as, anciently, the main local industry was the mining of ore. The village falls within the Burngreave ward of the City.HistoryIn 1906, thirteen Roman coins were found in the suburb. In the late Middle Ages, the Duke of Norfolk was the lord of the manor and owned the large woods surrounding it, now almost all covered by housing. A coal mine was developed, with its entrance on what later became Grimesthorpe Road. Its outflow ran by the side of the lane as far as Burngreave Vestry Hall, where it was joined by a burn which rose in Old Park Wood.A small number of old houses survive in Pitsmoor, including Abbeyfield House and Toll Bar Cottage, which was built in 1837 on what was then the main road from Sheffield to Barnsley, Wakefield and Leeds. A few more survive in Crabtree, formerly a separate hamlet, lying immediately north west of Pitsmoor. Christ Church was constructed to serve the area in 1850, which was made its own parish.In the early 1900s houses were still being built in the area. If you take a walk up Burngreave Road from Spital Hill you can follow this progression uphill from the dates marked on the front of each villa on either side of the road. The people who lived in them were doctors, teachers, shopkeepers and business men. Pitsmoor was described as eminently respectable and a languorous and soothing suburb, in an article in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph in 1906. In 1909, Abbeyfield House and its grounds were purchased by Sheffield City Council for £10,500, the grounds becoming Abbeyfield Park. In 1913, another patch of land off Abbeyfield Road became Devon Gardens. The creation of these public green spaces was in aid of an urban population of factory workers who needed access to fresh air and space to exercise.
152 FB users likes Pitsmoor, set it to 4 position in Likes Rating for Sheffield in Landmark category