Pittsburgh Créche

at 600 Grant St, Pittsburgh , 15219 United States

Pittsburgh's Créche is the world's only authorized replica of the Vatican's St. Peter's Square nativity scene. It opens on Pittsburgh's annual Light Up Night in November, and remains open through Epiphany in early January.

Pittsburgh Créche
600 Grant St
Pittsburgh , PA 15219
United States
Email
Contact Phone
P: ---
Website
-

Description

In 1996, the Christian Leaders Fellowship displayed a nativity scene at Gateway Center. In 1998 the Fellowship was aware that the city of Pittsburgh, which owned the property in Gateway Center, was going to forbid any more public displays. Around this same time, Louis D. Astorino, a member of the Christmas Festival Committee, was re-thinking the entire idea of the nativity scene display. Mr. Astorino had visited the larger-than-life-sized créche at St. Peter's Square in Rome's Vatican City in 1993. He wanted to do something special for the Christmas Festival for the millenium, and thought one idea could be to make a bigger créche and display it in a different location away from Gateway Center where pedestrians could access and linger. His idea progressed to not just making a bigger nativity scene, but actually duplicating the wonderful créche at the Vatican. Mr. Astorino owns the architectural firm Astorino, which has designed buildings in the Vatican - the Domus Sanctae Martha and adjacent Chapel of the Holy Spirit - built for visiting clergy. Through these business ties he obtained permission from Vatican officials to duplicate the créche. Mr. Astorino contacted Massimo Stoppa, General Director of Vatican Engineering, who became his liaison with Vatican and local participants. Mr. Stoppa put Mr. Astorino in contact with the Vatican architect who designed the stable, Umberto Massana, and with the sculptor who made the figures, Pietro Simonelli. Mr. Astorino presented his idea to the Christmas Festival Committee in 1997. The Committee and Fellowship approved his proposal. Catholic Diocese Bishop Donald Wuerl contacted USX Chairman Thomas Usher, who arranged for the créche to be displayed in the plaza outside of the USX Tower. Workers at the Civic Light Opera's Construction Center built the stable and Mr. Simonelli crafted the nativity scene figures. Many local companies and union locals contributed money, services and labor to the construction and shipment of the créche components, and its assembly at USX Tower. For its first year, the créche was dedicated on December 6, 1999 and displayed through January 7, 2000.

Company Rating

250 Facebook users were in Pittsburgh Créche. It's a 29 position in Popularity Rating for companies in Landmark & Historical Place category in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

1088 FB users likes Pittsburgh Créche, set it to 6 position in Likes Rating for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in Landmark & Historical Place category

Landmark & Historical Place category, Pittsburgh

Point State Park
601 Commonwealth Pl, Bldg A Pittsburgh , PA 15222 United States

This is the official Facebook page for Point State Park. Maintained and operated by Point State Park, PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

University Club
123 University Place Pittsburgh , PA 15260 United States

The University Club is an eight-story building of the University of Pittsburgh designed by Henry Hornbostel and completed in 1923 that is a contributing property to the Schenley Farms National Historic District on the school's campus in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States. It serves as a faculty club with publicly accessible dining, banquet, and conference facilities, while the upper four floors serve as housing for the families of out-of-town hospital patients.HistoryThe building was originally home to the "University Club," a private social club established in 1890. Initially located in downtown Pittsburgh, the club was chartered to bring together college graduates who enjoyed literature, art, and other culture. It later moved to Oakland to be closer to the city's college campuses, settling into the 1923 classical-style limestone building designed by architect Henry Hornbostel. An addition to the building was constructed in 1963. After the club ceased operations in November 2004, the University of Pittsburgh purchased the building for $3.1 million in 2005 for use as a faculty club, conference center, and banquet and event facility.

Edgewood Country Club
100 Churchill Rd Pittsburgh , PA 15235 United States

Summary

Pittsburgh Créche is Pittsburgh based place and this enity listed in Religious Center category. Located at 600 Grant St PA 15219.