The Quincy House was a hotel in downtown Boston, Massachusetts. Located on the corner of Brattle Street and Brattle Square in the neighborhood of Scollay Square, it was in operation for most of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, before it was closed in 1929. It was the largest hotel in Boston in the late nineteenth century, and was a popular destination for prominent guests to the city. It also served as a major headquarters for labor unions in Boston.HistoryThe original Quincy House was built in the early 1800s, on the site of the first Quaker meeting house in Boston. The hotel was built with Quincy granite, making it the first building in Boston to be constructed with that material. Over the course of the nineteenth century the hotel received several renovations and additions, the most extensive expansion occurring in c. 1885. By the end of the nineteenth century, the building reached seven stories in height and had approximately 500 rooms.By the late 1800s, the Quincy House acquired a reputation as one of the most famous hotels in the city. Labor unions in particular frequented the establishment; labor leaders and strike committees customarily held their meetings there. The regular union presence at the Quincy House eventually resulted in the hotel advertising itself as the "official headquarters for organized labor" in the city. The Quincy House additionally served as a popular place for local politicians, and it especially became known as the meeting place of the Board of Strategy, a group of high-ranking Democratic politicians (including P. J. Kennedy) who selected candidates for office and distributed patronage to party loyalists.
12 FB users likes Quincy House (Boston, Massachusetts), set it to 17 position in Likes Rating for Boston, Massachusetts in Landmark category
The Colonial Theatre is the oldest continually-operating theatre in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. Designed by the architectural firm of Clarence Blackall and paid for by Frederick Lothrop Ames the theatre first opened its doors for a performance of Ben-Hur on December 20, 1900. Ben-Hur operated with a cast and crew of 350 people and featured eight live horses on stage in full gallop during the chariot race scene. The play was so mechanically and technically extraordinary, it was featured on the cover of Scientific American. It is located at 106 Boylston Street on Boston Common at the former site of the Boston Public Library.In the 1990s, Colonial president Jon Platt led a renovation of the Colonial. In 1998, Platt sold his Boston theater interests to SFX Entertainment . In 2003, Emerson College began leasing the building. In 2006, Emerson bought the Colonial building to use the upper floors for dormitories. In 2008, Key Brand Entertainment purchased most of Live Nation's theatrical assets, including the lease on the Colonial Theatre. When the lease ended, the Citi Performing Arts Center took over the lease, but continued booking in partnership with Key. When the Citi lease ended in 2015, Emerson College closed the Colonial for renovations.
The newest destination in the CENTER of Boston!
The Howard Athenæum in Boston, Massachusetts, was one of the most famous theaters in Boston history. Founded in 1845, it remained an institution of culture and learning for most of its years, finally closing in 1953.