Richmond Hill is a city in Bryan County, Georgia, United States. James Oglethorpe, only a year after the founding of the Georgia colony at Savannah, awarded grants of land on the Ogeechee River in 1734. Once known as St. Phillips Parish, Bryan County was established in 1793. On February 1, 1797 the Bryan County justices valued 2 acres at the Cross Roads for $24 for the purpose of establishing a permanent county seat in courthouse. Cross Roads was the intersection of the Savannah-Darien Stage Road (current US 17) and the Bryan Neck Road (current GA Hwy 144). The Cross Roads became Ways Station in 1856 when the Savannah, Albany & Gulf R.R. was built across the nearby Ogeechee River into Bryan County. Near this site a train depot was built, which came to be known as “Ways No. 1 ½” for William J. Way, the first station master and a local rice planter on lands through which the railroad passed. A settlement grew up in the section between the railroad tracks and the Crossroads just to the west. It came to be called Ways Station, a designation that lasted until 1941 when the name of the community was changed to Richmond Hill.The population was 9,281, up from 6,959 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Savannah Metropolitan Statistical Area.GeographyRichmond Hill is located along the eastern border of Bryan County at . The Ogeechee River forms the eastern edge of the city ; an outlying portion of the city of Savannah is on the opposite side of the river.U.S. Route 17 passes through the city north of the original downtown. Interstate 95 passes through the western edge of the city, with access from Exit 87 and Exit 90 . Downtown Savannah is to the north, and Brunswick is to the south.