St Edmund's School Canterbury is an independent day and boarding school located in Canterbury, Kent, England. The school is located at the top of St Thomas' Hill, Canterbury.BackgroundSt Edmund's School Canterbury was first established in 1749, as the Clergy Orphan Society in Yorkshire. In 1812, the school moved to St John's Wood at the nursery end of Lord's Cricket Ground. An associated school for girls was located on the same site, but later moved to become St Margaret's School, Bushey in Hertfordshire.In 1855, the school moved to Canterbury. The acquisition of property and financing to build the school was provided by Samuel Warneford. The main school building was designed by the architect Philip Charles Hardwick, while the chapel was completed in 1858.In 1982, girls were admitted to the school.Cathedral choirIn 1972, the previously independent Canterbury Cathedral Choir School, which educated the choristers of Canterbury Cathedral, joined the Junior School as the Choir House. Choir House remains at a detached location beside the cathedral, and a minibus service conveys the choirboys between the two sites.Notable former pupilsFormer pupils are granted membership to St Edmund's Society.
94 FB users likes St Edmund's School, Canterbury, set it to 20 position in Likes Rating for Canterbury, Kent in School category