at 307 NW 4th St, Oklahoma City, 73102 United States
St. Joseph Old Cathedral is a parish church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Oklahoma City located in downtown Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States. It was the seat of the Diocese of Oklahoma City from 1905-1931, and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The church building was severely damaged by the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.HistoryThe Rev. Nicolas F. Scallon arrived in Oklahoma City on April 22, 1889. He was the first priest to serve in the recently formed town. He located other Catholic settlers and looked for a place to celebrate Mass. For the most part in those early days Mass was celebrated in a tent that normally functioned as McGinley's General Store. Less than two weeks later three lots were purchased for $225. Construction on a church building that measured 24 by 40 feet was begun on July 1, 1889 and was completed a month later. A 650-pound bell was purchased for $101 and the first Mass was celebrated in St. Joseph’s Church on August 4.By the turn of the 20th century the congregation began to outgrow its wood frame building and plans were made for a larger church. Work began on October 19, 1901 and it was finished the following year. It was dedicated by Bishop Theophile Meerschaert of the Vicariate Apostolic of Indian Territory on December 18, 1904. The church was constructed of Coffeyville brick in the Gothic Revival style. It features a central tower with a spire that is flanked by two shorter towers that are crenellated at the top. The building measures 137 by 64 feet.
299 FB users likes St. Joseph Old Cathedral, set it to 5 position in Likes Rating for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in Landmark category