at , Cardiff, CF11 9 United Kingdom
St Mary of the Angels Roman Catholic Church is located in Canton, Cardiff. It is part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cardiff. It opened on 3 November 1907.The Parish Priest is Monsignor John Maguire and he is assisted by Fr. Andrea Bord.Church HistoryThe church architect was Frederick Walters and was built by W. T. Morgan. The foundation stone of the church was laid on 20 January 1907 by Bishop Hedley and later that year, on 30 October, the altar was consecrated before the church opened on 3 December. The tower was added in 1916. The church is built using roughly dressed Pennant sandstone and cut Bath stone ashlar dressings, in a late 12th-century French style.In January 1941, the sacristies and St Ann's Chapel in the church were destroyed by an air raid. 10 years on, the sacristies and chapel were rebuilt.In 1952, the church was temporarily closed to repaint and clean the church as well as to install new lighting and amplifiers. The church was repainted again in 1962.It became a listed building in 1975, as a building of quality by a noted ecclesiastical architect.Mgr. John Maguire, the present Parish Priest, was appointed in 1991, after the church came under the care of the Archdiocese of Cardiff after many years under the Benedictine Community. Fr. Chris Delaney, O.S.B., a long-serving assistant priest returned to Buckfast Abbey in March 2011 after 44 years of faithful service in Canton.
13 FB users likes St Mary of the Angels R C Church, Canton, set it to 10 position in Likes Rating for Cardiff in Landmark category