at , Baltimore, 21201 United States
St. Paul's Church Rectory, located a block west of Old St. Paul's Episcopal Church (formerly "Protestant Episcopal") is a historic Episcopal rectory located on steep "Cathedral Hill" at the northeast corner of Cathedral Street (which merges with Liberty Street, which becomes Hopkins Place and Sharp Street further south) and West Saratoga Streets in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. In the rear of the old rectory is a small alley-like extension of West Pleasant Street and to the east behind the Charles Street former residences and now commercial structures is another small alley extension of Little (or North) Sharp Street.It is located on ground donated by Col. John Eager Howard (1752-1827), commander of the famed "Maryland Line" regiment of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War and was noted at the Battles of Brooklyn in New York, Monmouth in New Jersey, Guilford Courthouse in North Carolina, and the Cowpens in South Carolina and also former Governor of Maryland and U. S. Senator. He owned the large estate of "Belvidere" north of the town which was also known as "Howard's Woods", with his Georgian/Federal mansion located at the modern intersection of East Chase and North Calvert Streets (which was razed 1875, when Calvert Street was extended further north). Many land donations of his went to churches, schools and other public institutions as the town grew north. The land on which the Washington Monument sits with its four surrounding park-like squares which added so much character to the neighborhood and made Baltimore famous, came from his generousity. Plus after his death, his family descendents bought many townhouses and mansions on the newly platted grid of streets in the coming Victorian era and grew richer and more prosperous on the development rights in what became known as the Mount Vernon-Belvedere neighborhood.
2 FB users likes St. Paul's Church Rectory, set it to 35 position in Likes Rating for Baltimore, Maryland in Landmark category