at , Stockport, SK3 9 United Kingdom
Stockport railway station in the town of Stockport, Greater Manchester, England is 8 miles south-east of Manchester Piccadilly station on the West Coast Main Line from Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston.HistoryThe Manchester and Birmingham Railway, opened from Manchester to Stockport in 1840, was only 5.5mi long at the time and ran into a temporary station at each end. Stockport's stood at the north end of the uncompleted Stockport viaduct, a temporary station which was later renamed as Heaton Norris, and remained Stockport's only station for more than two years. After the viaduct's completion, the M&BR decided to build a new station at the south end of the viaduct, on an experimental basis. The decision was prompted by complaints that the existing station was a long way from the industrial parts of town and even farther from the residential districts on the south side. The station was opened on the current site on 15 February 1843, under the name Edgeley. By 1844, it had become the principal station and the one at the north end of the viaduct eventually closed in 1959. After operation by the London and North Western Railway, it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway, in 1923. In 1948 British Railways ran the system.
351 FB users likes Stockport railway station, set it to 3 position in Likes Rating for Manchester in Train Station category