The Straße des 17. Juni is a street in central Berlin, the capital of Germany. It is the western continuation of the boulevard Unter den Linden. It runs east-west through the Tiergarten, a large park to the west of the city centre. At the eastern end of the street is the Brandenburg Gate, it then passes the Soviet War Memorial before passing either side of Victory Column (Siegessäule) in the middle of the park, and out of the park through the Charlottenburg Gate, terminating about half a kilometre later at Ernst-Reuter-Platz. The street is a section of the main western thoroughfare radiating out from the centre of Berlin so the road continues to the west of Ernst-Reuter-Platz the first section of which is called Bismarkstrasse.Before 1953, the street was called Charlottenburger Chaussee, because it ran from the old city center (Berlin-Mitte) to the borough of Charlottenburg through the Tiergarten ("Animal garden or Zoo").It was made into a paved road in 1799, and owing to Berlin's rapid growth in the 19th century it became a major thoroughfare to the affluent western suburbs. At the outbreak of World War One in early August 1914, hundreds of thousands of Berliners cheered the military parade, which took place here. At the outbreak of World War Two, no such scenes were seen, according to the American journalist and historian William L. Shirer, but after Adolf Hitler returned from his inspection of Paris in 1940, a huge victory parade was held.
82 FB users likes Straße des 17. Juni, set it to 20 position in Likes Rating for Berlin, Germany in Landmark category