at 60 Pleasance, Edinburgh, EH8 9TJ United Kingdom
For the The Pleasance Theatre please see The Pleasance (theatre)The Pleasance is a street just outside the Old Town of Edinburgh, Scotland, a remnant of the town walls flanking the west side of the street between Drummond Street and the Cowgate. Historically, the street was one of the main routes into Edinburgh from the south, meeting St Mary's Wynd (now St Mary's Street) at St Mary's Wynd Port, one of the gateways of the town walls. The name derives from the Scots plesance, meaning a park or garden. It first appears in 1507 as the name of a nearby house and was later transferred to the street and then the suburb which was part of the regality of the Canongate. The derivation of the name from a nunnery of St Mary of Placentia, often mentioned in histories of Edinburgh, is an invention by William Maitland in his 1753 History of Edinburgh. The street is largely residential, although the University of Edinburgh owns property in the area.University of Edinburgh unionThe Pleasance contains a complex of university-owned buildings which, for nine months of the year, operate as one of the four Student Union venues that serve the Edinburgh University Students' Association. The Pleasance complex consists of two main bars: The Pleasance Bar and The Cabaret Bar; the Pleasance theatre (with a capacity of 320); and several rooms that can be booked out for society use. Two LCD tvs and a large projector also ensure that all major sporting events are shown in the main bar. The Pleasance is the only one of the four student unions to hold a public license which means anyone can gain access without having to be a university student or signed in by a member.
53 FB users likes The Pleasance, set it to 13 position in Likes Rating for Edinburgh, United Kingdom in Landmark category