Trafalgar Dock is a dock on the River Mersey, in England, and part of the Port of Liverpool. It is situated in the northern dock system in Vauxhall and connected to Salisbury Dock to the north. The sites of two former docks are located in the vicinity; Victoria Dock was located to the south and Clarence Dock to the east. Trafalgar Dock was designed by Jesse Hartley and opened in 1836. During the early 1990s, most of the dock basin was used as a designated landfill site. This has left only a section of the northern part of the dock and a narrow channel along the eastern dock wall. What remains of the dock provides access to Clarence Graving Docks. In 2007, work began on a £20 million extension of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, providing a further 1.4 miles of navigable waterway. A new 6.5-metre-wide channel was excavated through Trafalgar Dock to the northern end of West Waterloo Dock as part of the canal route.