The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is an historic post office and courthouse building located at 400 North Ervay Street in the City Center District of downtown Dallas, Texas (USA). The historic building retains an operating post office on the ground level with apartments on upper floors.HistoryA new federal building was conceived to replace the “Old” Post Office and Federal Building five blocks to the south . A site at Ervay, Federal, St. Paul, and Bryan was chosen, and $50,000 was allocated by the U.S. Congress. The sum was later raised to $2,300,000 for. Construction began in 1929 and the building opened in November 1930.The building served as the home for 40 Federal bureaus and agencies, two United States District Courts and two District Judges. As the Federal Government's presence in Dallas grew over were leased in surrounding buildings to house larger agencies. The U.S. District and Circuit Courts moved to the new Earle Cabell Federal Building and Courthouse in 1971, following the departure of the Post Office regional headquarters in the same year.In 1984 the U.S. Postal Service selected Woodbine Development Corp. to renovate the historic building and build a 34-story office tower behind and above the building. The addition would have included a office building and 900-car underground parking garage along with retail, restaurant and office facilities. The project never came to fruition.