University City High School (Philadelphia)

at 3601 Filbert St, Philadelphia, 19104 United States

University City High School was a public secondary school in the University City section of West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania which operated from 1972 to 2013.The school was planned for as part of a 1960s urban renewal project. It was designed as a large comprehensive high school to serve 3000 students in grades 9 through 12. 25% of the school's capacity was reserved for an elite math and science magnet program that would draw students from throughout the city. The remaining 75% of the capacity was for students from the school's local catchment area. In addition to the magnet program, the school's educational program included a wide range of courses from college prep to vocational education subjects like industrial arts and home economics. The school's building was designed by H2L2 and included advanced educational, vocational, and recreational facilities, on a 14 acre urban campus.Despite the best intentions of its planners, the school failed to prosper. Enrollment in 2010–2011 was 637 students. That same year, it became a Promise Academy, offering extra enrichment as well as replenishing the staff to accommodate a better education for all students. The school was one of 23 School District of Philadelphia schools closed in 2013 by the School Reform Commission. The building was demolished in 2015 as part of a $1B redevelopment project.


University City High School (Philadelphia)
3601 Filbert St
Philadelphia , PA 19104
United States
Contact Phone
P: (215) 387-5100
Website
-

Company Rating

52 Facebook users were in University City High School (Philadelphia). It's a 84 position in Popularity Rating for companies in School category in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

122 FB users likes University City High School (Philadelphia), set it to 96 position in Likes Rating for Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in School category