at , Chester, CH2 1
Upton by Chester is a civil parish and a large suburb on the outskirts of Chester, in the Borough of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire in England. It includes the villages of Upton and Upton Heath. At the 2001 Census the population was recorded as 7,800, rising to 7,956 at the 2011 Census.HistoryFormerly a township in Broxton Hundred, it included the hamlet of Upton Heath. The population was 173 in 1801, 555 in 1851, 1,769 in 1901 and 6,343 in 1951. An illustrated 300 page book on the history of Upton called 'Upton-by-Chester: A People's History' was published in 2005.Upton-by-Chester as we know it today started when the railway was built in the mid-1800s. Gentlemen's country houses were built and provided employment other than traditional rural jobs. Initially ribbon development but then housing estates were built as more people moved out of the overcrowded city. Following the post-WW2 building boom there is now little development land left.A permanent military presence was established in the town with the completion of Dale Barracks in 1939.ReligionUpton has four churches; one Baptist, one United Reformed Church, one Catholic (St Columba's), and the Anglican Church of the Holy Ascension.
118 FB users likes Upton by Chester, set it to 6 position in Likes Rating for Chester, Cheshire in Arts & Entertainment category