at 2 Siglap Link, Singapore
Victoria School is Singapore's second government secondary school. The all-boys school, founded in 1876, is located at Siglap Link. It is about one kilometre from affiliated Victoria Junior College and a very short walk to East Coast Park and the beach.Previous campuses of Victoria School include the Syed Alwi and Tyrwhitt Road sites. The Syed Alwi site is featured on the back of Singapore's S$2 banknote. See Singapore Portrait Series currency notes. The Tyrwhitt Road site was gazetted for conservation by the Urban Redevelopment Authority in 2007 and was awarded URA's Heritage Award in 2009.HistoryKampong Glam: 1876-1900Victoria School had its beginnings in an English class formed in Kampong Glam Malay School in 1876. Kampong Glam Malay Branch School was then established with twelve Malay boys. The school enrolment grew but the school provided poor shelter from the weather and was often flooded.In 1897, the enrolment recorded was 122, and the school's first football team was formed by the school principal, F.W. Hartley.Syed Alwi: 1900-1932The school moved to new premises at Syed Alwi, near the Victoria Bridge. The school was renamed Victoria Bridge School.The first annual sports meet was held in 1915 and the first annual Speech Day the following year.The National Cadet Corps (NCC) was formed in 1918. Scouting was first started in the school when the 5th Singapore (HQ Malay) Troop was formed in 1919.By 1920, the school enrolment was 733.The House system was introduced in 1929 and House prefects were appointed in 1930.
5467 FB users likes Victoria School, set it to 3 position in Likes Rating for Singapore, Singapore in School category