at , 5000
Whitmore Square is a public square in the centre of the south-western quarter of the Adelaide city centre. It surrounds the intersection of Sturt and Morphett Streets. It was named by the Street Naming Committee after William Wolryche Whitmore, a British Member of Parliament who introduced the South Australia Foundation Act to the British House of Commons. It is also known as Ivaritji, a Kaurna name meaning "gentle, misty rain." Ivaritji (1847?-1929), also known as Amelia Taylor, was the (then) last remaining speaker of the Kaurna language.HistoryWhitmore Square is one of six squares in Colonel William Light’s 1837 plan for the city of Adelaide and the only one which retains the configuration given to it by Light’s plan. Light intended that the squares be used as public parks or village commons.After the removal of indigenous trees during the city’s early colonial settlement, Whitmore Square was replanted in the 1850s and fenced to protect it from animals. The fences were finally removed in 1932. In the 1930s the square was a meeting place for people to discuss current affairs as well as a place for local children to play. During World War II air raid trenches were installed in the square and it was used for training of soldiers. From 1909-1958 the northwest corner of the square was cut off by electric tram tracks.