Ash is a village and parish in Somerset, England, situated 1mi from Martock and 6mi north-west of Yeovil in the South Somerset district. The parish has a population of 626. The parish includes the hamlets of Milton and Witcombe.Ash has a primary school which was awarded outstanding in 2008 Ofsted report and titled the best primary school in the uk.HistoryThe name Ash, from the Old English aesc means "place with/near ash tree(s)." It was first mentioned in 1086 as ‘Aisse’, it next appears, in 1225 as ‘Esse’. Probably derived from Old English ‘aesc’ the ash tree. Hence, (place at) the ash tree/s.Milton was first mentioned in 1284-6 as ‘Milton Fauconberg’ or ‘Falcenbridge’. There appear to be two possible derivations: The gentle enclosure from Old English ‘milde’ and ‘tun’ (cf Upper and Lower Milton, near Wells) or The middle enclosure from the Old English ‘middel’ and ‘tun’ Since Milton lies between the tithings of Long Load and Witcombe, the latter seems to be more likely as it was known as ‘Middleton’ in 1284-6.Witcombe means the white valley from the Old English ‘hwit’ and ‘cumb’. It occurs as ‘Whythicumbe’ in 1243, in which case cf Withycombe (near Carhampton), the willow valley from the Old English ‘wippe’ and ‘cumb’. It may also be ‘wide valley’ from Old English.The medieval settlement seems to have included two separate hamlets on the two adjacent parallel lanes. These were the centres of the two medieval manors: Ash Boulogne to the west, and Pykesash to the east. Both nuclei are characterised by an irregular group of working farms.
30 FB users likes Witcombe, set it to 26 position in Likes Rating for Gloucester, Gloucestershire in City category