The Gatineau River Yacht Club is located on Gatineau River in Chelsea, Quebec, Canada. The club is based on two small islands connected by a pontoon bridge.HistoryAfter farmland on both sides of the Gatineau River was flooded in 1926, hills were turned into islands. The road off the Gleneagle Road leading to the walkway of the Gatineau River Yacht Club is named Summerlea, which was the name of the region until it was changed to Gleneagle in the 1930s.The club was officially opened on September 2, 1962, with an initial membership of five Chelsea residents: Gerry Byers, Pat Evans, Ivan Herbert, Allan Richens and John Winfield and a fleet of their five boats. The club's first commodore was Ivan Herbert. Pat Evans, one of the club's founders, served as the club historian. The original clubhouse was a small white cottage at the bottom of Gleneagle Road, off Route 105, which was rented in the spring of 1963. The initial membership chose the club’s blue and white burgee with 'G R Y C' surrounding a circle of rope, with an anchor at the center. The initial club fees were set at $5 a year. By 1964, with a membership of 100 people, the club purchases an island for $12,000 near the site of the club's floating dock. The club consisted of two islands connected by a walkway, complete with cottage and two sleeping cabins. The Gatineau Boom Company donated lumber for a walkway to the island.The GRYC island clubhouse, which resembles a pinecone, was designed by James Strutt based on the rhombic dodecahedron. Club members provided the labour and often donated the supplies. Club members erected the three-level clubhouse on a rocky hillside, out of a wood frame, plywood sheathing, and ribbed metal the colour of tree trunks during the summer and fall of 1978 for $21,000.
2 FB users likes Gatineau River Yacht Club, set it to 9 position in Likes Rating for Ottawa, Ontario in Landmark category